25 February 2014
(Notice of Motion, 25 February 2014, Legislative Assembly, NSW Parliament)
I give notice that tomorrow I shall move that this house:
- Notes the death of Reza Barati, a Iranian man killed at the Australian Government funded Manus Island detention centre.
- Commends the thousands of New South Wales citizens who took part in the “Light the Dark” vigils following the asylum seekers death
- Notes the contribution made to New South Wales by those who have sought asylum, refugees, and other immigrants including those on 457 visas.
- Notes that seeking asylum is a human right.
- Notes that the electorate of Sydney has one of the highest number of recently arrived immigrants and that they have made a significant contribution to the social fabric, multi-cultural mix and economic activity of Sydney and New South Wales.
- Calls on the Federal Government to treat asylum seekers and refugees with the respect and dignity that they deserve.